The Lompoc Vision
“Good News You Can Use.”
he Contract for the Dyer Bridge Across the
Santa Ynez River was awarded in August 17,
1889 to Bert Dyer for $3,687.
This early bridge was built at the narrows of the
river at what is today the Floradale Bridge Cross-
ing on the route to the Prison. This bridge supported
the route across Burton Mesa to the Lompoc Landing
The Robertson Bridge on the East side of Lompoc
was the first built by the County across the Santa Ynez
River in 1878 for $600. The Boroda Crossing bridge
was built in 1892 at the western end of the valley. The
first permanent bridge at the river on H Street was
All of the bridges were washed away by the ram-
paging river from time to time and replaced by others
until the next storm. The Group shown here was on a
Sunday outing on horse carriages to the Dyer Bridge
which was about 5 miles from the center of town.
Legacy, No. 5, Spring,
1975; Lompoc Val-
ley Historical Society
Newsletter, Jan 2006.
A LITTLE LOMPOC HISTORY
by Justin M. Ruhge
AWalk on the “High” Dyer Bridge 1918 Era.
Left to right:
George Payne, Charles Ruffner, Dale Houn-
shell, Ed Lair, Bertha Kalin. Photo from Margaret Kalin.
Courtesy of the Lompoc Valley Historical Society