LOMPOC VALLEY HERITAGE WALK MAP
This is approximately a 1 mile walk - allow yourself at least an hour. This walk takes you on a scenic tour of Old Town Lompoc with 20 different stops.
STOP #1 – The Lompoc Museum was built and completed in 1911 as a Carnegie Library. It was used as a library until 1969. The Museum focuses on the archeology and history of the Lompoc Valley.
STOP #2 – The Italian Stone Pines produce edible nuts used in gourmet cooking - Pine Nuts. These trees were planted in 1940 and are now valued at over 3 million dollars! Our trees have been featured in a European book on famous trees of the world because of their health and beauty.
STOP #3 – The Grace Temple Church was originally Lompoc’s Methodist Church. It is actually two church buildings - the Methodist Episcopal North and Methodist Episcopal South - built in the 1870’s. The buildings were situated across the street from one another. They were joined together in 1908, at which time the stained glass and spires were added.
STOP #4 - The Andrew L. Huyck House is a large two-story Victorian home which was built in 1890 about 8 miles west of Lompoc. In 1901, it was moved to its present site by a team of 30 horses. It took over a week to move. It has been fully restored and is now the 1890 House Bed and Breakfast.
STOP #5 – The First Baptist Church is an 1888 church, typical of the small churches constructed in early Lompoc. It is the oldest church in town still owned and operated by the same
denomination that built it.
STOP #6 – Sissy’s Uptown Cafe is the site of the former Post Office from 1942 until 1962. Until 1942, the Post Office was housed in several downtown storefront locations.
STOP #7 – The Chalkrock building is constructed with blocks of diatomaceous earth, also know as “chalkrock.” The building was completed in 1892. Originally, is served as the Spanne Agricultural Implement store, selling farm tools and implements. The building has also served as a dance hall, skating rink, mortuary, grocery store, meat locker and print shop. Check out the abstract mural on the exterior north wall.
STOP #8 – Across the street from the Spanne Building is Better Beds building. Note the peaked roof that projects above the building. This is a former Christian Church building that was located one block south and moved to this location in 1927 and made part of the retail complex.
STOP #9 – Horse hitching rings are still evident embedded in the curbs on West Ocean Avenue.
STOP #10 – As you proceed north on I Street, be sure to view the murals along the way. The Anderson Recreation Center was built in 1942 as one of Lompoc’s three USO’s. It served the military personnel stationed at Camp Cooke Army Base during WW11. It later served as City Hall from the 1950’s until 1979. After a new City Hall was constructed, the building was renovated into a recreation center.
STOP #11 – The Artesia School House Built in 1876, the Artesia School House is Lompoc’s first one room country school. Originally, located on Artesia Ave., about 5 miles west of Lompoc. In 1972 it was moved into town and renovated. It is open on the 4th Sunday of each month from 2-4 p.m. and is staffed by docents of the Lompoc Museum.
STOP #12 – As you pass the Bank of America, notice the mural on the north wall, illustrating early Lompoc education.
The Guadalupe Rojas Harness Shop, located behind the Lompoc Theatre building, was originally at the front of the lot and was moved back when the theatre was built.
STOP #13 – The Lompoc Theatre was built in 1927 by the Knights of Pythias. It was home to movies, plays and concerts over the years. When it was first opened, it was considered one of the most technologically advanced movie theatres on the West Coast.
STOP # 14 – The Lilley Building was built in 1890 by George Roberts, one of the original shareholders of the Lompoc Valley Land Company. Red brick used for its construction, was manufactured locally.
STOP # 15 – The IOOF (Independent Order of Odd Fellow) building was constructed in 1905 . Three of the four walls are diatomaceous earth.
STOP #16 – The Rudolph Building with its art deco facade was originally built in 1894 and renovated in the 30’s. Rudolph’s
Store occupied the ground floor, while rooms upstairs were rented.
STOP #17 – The Lompoc Furniture Mart was constructed in 1911 and has always been a furniture store. J.C.Long also operated a mortuary from the same location, with his coffin room located upstairs.
STOP #18 – The Sleep Shop was Lompoc’s first bowling alley, complete with 6 lanes and manual pin spotting equipment. Built in the early 40’s it served Lompoc well until the early 60’s when a new facility was built. Before the bowling alley was constructed, this was the site of Lompoc’s Opera House, which was the cultural center of the town. High School plays, graduations, town dances, fairs, vaudeville, movies and roller skating took place in the popular facility.
STOP #19 – The Cypress Gallery is managed by the Lompoc Valley Art Association and features works of art by local artists. The gallery features many items for sale and also provides tourist information.
STOP #20 – The Lost Mission mural, behind the Lompoc Museum, was painted by local artist, Vicki Andersen. This mural represents the original La Purisima Mission which was destroyed in 1812 by a massive earthquake. In 1813 it was moved north, across the Santa Ynez River, where it is currently located in its rural setting.
Please be sure to also visit: The Lost Mission (the original La Purisima site) at the end of South F Street.